Friday, May 25, 2007

The Gap Between...

I am not sure if this is a "writing" entry, butI feel like writing it here instead of in Finster Finds...

I am feeling angry. I have noted that there seems to be in Edmonton a real separation between professional and community theatre --> not necessarily in the quality of the productions, but a separation caused by snobbery. It is harder to swallow when you see that snobbery in people who are and have been long time friends. A long time friend (A - a BFA actor) came to see my show at the Walterdale. One of the actors in the show is a mutual friend (B). A said to B something to the effect of "good job, but someone I know from BFA-land did a show at the Walterdale and they felt it was a real step backwards". Backwards from what? The coddled life at University where you get a part because you are in a program paying for an education? The professional shows they had done that were TYA or they were a spear-shaker in? Backwards why? Is not the "work" the same no matter the stage? Is it because this BFA-land actor couldn't rise to excellence unless they were pushed up by the skills of the others onstage? This is Crap! I am so angry that she would say this to someone who has just done FINE FINE WORK regardless of the where she has done it. To undermine that work with such a thoughtless comment makes me so mad. And to say it to a "friend" and not realize the impact of it is thoughtless and tacky and demonstrates true ignorance.

I guess since I have done community theatre for so long and have worked with such fine (and some not so fine) actors over the years and I KNOW the dedication and the passion that those people have invested I rail against this arrogance. I would rather do the work than worry so much about where the work is being done. To me, the role should be approached the same way whether it is on Broadway or Keyano or Walterdale or a Fringe location. If you are doing your work it shouldn't matter.

Now I don't know if this is how everyone feels. But I have heard this sentiment spoken before. Personally I cannot think of a better cast for my show. They did their work. I am proud of them. And I am glad it was done at the Walterdale because I find it to be a place that allows you to reach for excellence.

No comments: