Met with the Team from Kompany! to discuss the progress of Zachary and the Storytelling Stones. I have more notes and I am trying to be optimistic about this, because there are fewer with each draft. I was a little frustrated because I don't always know how to voice my opinion about the script. As the writer I doubt my own objectivity on it, but I do have a somewhat different idea about what works and what doesn't and about what the purpose of the play is. The process did get a lot of feedback from viewers and I am unsure how to weight this feedback because I do not know the source. One comment was 'the last song is too long'. I didn't think it was and I have no idea who said this so I don't know if it is valid. I also question commenting on the songs because they weren't staged and the actors only learned the tunes two days previously. There wasn't a lot of time spent on making the songs what they have the potential to be. So, do I change things (against my personal instincts?) or do I leave them, as is, and keep it in mind that they might need to be different down the line? A couple of other notes came up about things that were in the play from the first draft that had never been brought up before. This also frustrated me because I felt a little ambushed. I am sure that is just the writer's ego flinching and perhaps the notes came because other bigger problems were now solved so these other little things were suddenly visible, but it does get exhausting for the old ego. Add to this comments that were made on a moment where actors dropped a couple of lines (need more clarity on this page - maybe if all the lines were said it would be clear?) I was mentally tired after the meeting.
I am not touching it until after The Last Five Years is done. I want to focus on that for the next week and a half. After it closes (run is March 12th-14th at the Third Space), I will look at Zachary.
No comments:
Post a Comment