Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna, Ho!

Today Darrin Hagen came into our class to talk about Hosanna. He played the role of Hosanna/Claude at Theatre Network in 2005. He was a delight. He was very candid without being gratuitous about the Drag and Queer Culture. It was enlightening and gave weight to the play Hosanna as well. He pointed out ways that the play did not necessarily age well and perhaps was a little off the mark, which was interesting, but he also spoke to it's strengths. A very entertaining class.

I made a decision this week (actually yesterday) to pull From Something out of the ADFA Festival Stage Struck! When I kept looking at the calendar and the meagre opportunities for rehearsal and what having those rehearsals meant to my personal schedule I just felt over-whelmed. I knew, also, that the other ladies were all over taxed with commitments. Anyhow, I made the decision and instantly felt better. I hadn't realized quite how stressed I was about it. I still want to revisit the play, especially with the new changes, but I want to do it when we can focus on it and do it justice. When people ask me how I can be so busy and do all the things I do, sometimes the answer is "I can't and I have to say no..."

No comments: