Last night I went and watched a stumble through of the first half of Pieces. It was nice to see that it is in pretty good shape. I also like the choices that Marsha has made with regards to casting and staging. I have said this before, but a sit down reading is different from moving around and acting. The actors have had more time to get to know their characters so the growth is evident.
It is hard, though, to sit and watch and maintain my role. Not because I was unhappy with the progress, but rather because I have directed and acted so much that I am used to being in that role. I am really trying to figure out what my role is as playwright. I don't want to overstep my bounds and start doing someone else's job, so I am pretty quiet in rehearsal. This is a strange thing for me (anyone who has been in a show with me will know that!). I think I am going to email Marty and ask him to address the "role of the playwright in rehearsal". At least if we have a discussion I can see what the other playwrights think. Maybe it is okay for me to say things to support my vision without worrying about stepping on toes? I don't know, but I think I need to clarify.
Oh yeah, still not writing, but I haven't had much time.
No comments:
Post a Comment