Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Third Installment....

I spent the least amount of time on the third installment for the Saturday Serial Thriller contest but I think I like it best of the three. You may notice that I did not post the 2nd installment. I was not totally happy with it since I found it the most challenging to write. The published chapter 2 took the story in a totally different direction than I had and I found it really tough to switch gears. I did the work though, and it was a good exercise, but I was not as happy with it as I'd like. There is a real challenge to capturing the style of the ongoing story. With only 750-1000 words it is hard to do that and still take the story somewhere. I think i was more successful this last try. We shall see. I like it in any case and the whole process is teaching me something about writing the genre. I don't necessarily have to write every detail of the journey. I can skip to the "juicy" bits and take the reader there in a leap instead of little steps. That way the story can go farther in that short space.

No comments: