Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dramaworks - Day One

The first part of my Dramaworks workshop (on Workshopping your Play) was good. It was primarily discussion, no wait, primarily information delivery from Ron Jenkins, but good information. I realized that the 3 experiences I have had with getting my work presented publicly (There's a Better Way, Pieces, and the stage reading of Cropping and Embossing) were without many of the problems that Playwrights encounter during workshopping or producing. I had no 'negative overload', no 'compromising of vision or story'. I was in a safe environment and I trusted my partners in the process. There was a little bit of the negative in the Playwriting Lab, but I think my maturity helped me to filter it. A younger, more insecure person might not have been able to do that and I think I saw that happen to Dana, and to some extent Jill. That may have been why Gaylene left the group. It's quite possible. When so much ego is on the line, it is important to have the work in safe, nurturing hands. That is not to say you can't say anything bad, but it is to say that respect for the work and the artist must be present.

No comments: