Monday, July 14, 2008

Dramaworks Debrief....

Whew! What a weekend! It was wonderful! On Saturday we heard our scripts read by the other members of the group. Ron gave some feedback and talked about the pieces and coached us through 'asking for what we wanted to get out of the workshop'. Base don some of his feedback I went home that night and cut a whole page from the 6 page scene I had submitted. I know that cutting is the main thing for me when I write because my characters tend to 'over-talk' through an idea. Write what you know and all that (ha ha). I also took his advice a turned a whole monologue into silent action - very scary.

So on Sunday, the 'real' actors came in and read our scripts. We got a genuine read and then Ron would send us out in the hallway while he contrived worst case scenarios for a workshop. I was worried. I was in the afternoon, however, and I think he had explored his worst cases and decided to really work my scene. It was so very very cool. The new 'silent monologue' worked phenomenally and best of all, I wasn't the only one crying at the end of it (good tears).

So, this made me go home and work on the script. It is tighter... 5 pages shorter and that's with the addition of some important exchanges and monologues. I have looked for places where action communicates better than language. I feel pretty good about it.

One thing this workshop made me really think about was that I think that my script is ready for something more. I don't know if it is a workshop, or if I should actually be looking towards a production. It is in my head and when I get the shape of my life figured out in the Fall I will figure out what I want to do with it and how.

No comments: