Friday, February 13, 2009

Working on Zachary...

I have had two meetings about the Zachary and the Storytelling Stones script and have worked a bit on the challenges it had. The first meeting was a week ago with the Director and Dramaturge and we did a first pass with the issues facing the script. The primary one was that the piece needed to be performed by 3 actors and I had written it for 6-10. This was an easier thing to fix than I has thought it would be, but it did mean drastically modifying one character who may still go completely away, but I am hoping he gets to stay. I also had to clarify the overall message of the piece. However, the day after that meeting I was struck by the bubonic plague (read: I thought I was dying) and it was not until Tuesday that I was able to address the script so I focused on the actor issue as it was the most imperative.

Yesterday I met with just the Dramaturge and we talked about some of the remaining issues. I am hopeful to get to them today or tomorrow. I need to make sure that Zachary's motivations remain throughout the piece and not just at the beginning. Right now they fizzle away a bit as the piece progresses. I also need to clarify the reasons for the Storytelling stones being there and why they won't always be. Good questions for me to answer and sort out.

This week we head into workshop and I am a little nervous, having never been through that before. I feel very comfortable with my Dramaturge, Jana, and I think she will help me work the piece the way I need to. I want to serve the project, Kompany! and write the best piece possible, but I do not want to be writing by committee. It still needs to be mine.

No comments: