Tuesday, December 8, 2009

So Much of Playwrighting is Listening...

Tonight I got to hear the cast of Tight Rope read the latest draft. I knew 2 of the 5, but I was nervous about who the rest of the cast would be. I am happy with the choices that Scott Garland (the Director) made. This is the first time I heard this particular draft and I made some pretty big changes from the last draft so it was good to hear. When you make a lot of revisions it can get challenging to remember exactly what the play says. At a certain point the only way to know where you are is to hear it aloud. I flagged quite a few bits here and there and I will have to decode what I wrote later. I am now going to wait for the comments from Conni which I won't get until the 16th of December. I might do a little tweaking, but I am hesitant to do too much until I read her feedback.

I was happy overall with where the script has gone. I like that Scott is not afraid that it says some mean/harsh/not politically correct things and that he gets that this is what the script is about. I can't be afraid of saying the wrong thing. The characters have to be ugly real, not just real. It isn't all good out there, so it shouldn't be all good onstage and we can't pretend there is only one side to the arguments.

After the read, Scott and I talked extensively about the script and where it needed to go. So much so that we missed the 11 p.m. cut off for the parkade so we had to walk around the Timms to find a door that the One Card would open so I could get in to my car. It was cold, but I was so relieved when we found that door.

No comments: