Monday, November 30, 2009

Stalled - Jumper Cables!

I have been challenged in working on Tight Rope for the last 2 weeks. Some of the challenge was just having available time, but some of it was a real stall. I kept wanting to write monologues for certain characters and my brain kept dwelling on those monologues, but they didn't really have to do with the tasks that I had identified for moving into the next draft. Every time I would try to approach the script I would get distracted and wasn't making any progress. I had all this time on Friday that I just wasted. Well, there is nothing like a deadline to jump-start the work! The next draft is due tomorrow morning in class at 9 A.M. So after wasting time yesterday, and Friday and numerous other days I finally got down to work today. And lo and behold, I have a workable next draft. I still want to tweak a bit before I hand it in. I will also tweak after we get into rehearsal because I really learn the shape of the play when I start to hear it aloud, but I feel like I accomplished the goals I set out after the one-on-one with Conni Massing back in the beginning of November. I even got to include one of the monologues that kept flitting around my brain and it seemed to work with the overall changes. I am not done with this one, but I will make my deadline.

No comments: