Thursday, November 12, 2009

Balancing Purpose and Story and Character...

I had my feedback session with Conni Massing today after a short class on personal dramaturgy. There were a lot of good questions and strategies proposed in the class and I am excited to approach my script with them. Any tool that helps you write a better script is a good one and since I have come to this activity late in life and from a round about way rather than a straight forward movement through life I am always hungry for more writing tools.

The feedback session was valuable too. I have been making copious notes both in ink and in my brain for how I want to approach the next draft but I have been waiting to talk to Conni about her feedback first. I was pleased because she challenged me and I think I write best when I feel challenged. She also challenged that what I was trying to say was not necessarily coming across. I so appreciate this because although it can be hard to hear, it is necessary to hear in order to fix the script. I have some pretty big holes to fill in character and I need to develop my ending so much more. I also need to clarify my purpose and really be hard on myself to assess whether or not I am saying what I want to say. I feel so much better about this session than my session with Derek. After that one I had some vague ideas about things to explore, but it took me more investigation to really push the play to the next draft. After this session today I feel challenged and charged and ready to re-write.

No comments: