Saturday, August 18, 2007

My CBC Anthology Thing...

I have had a real tough week with editing the piece. Earlier on I received notes for editing and I thought I addressed them when I sent back the revised copy. I actually felt really good about them. Then yesterday I got a "re-edit" from my Producer and I literally felt sick to my stomach at the changes he made to the piece. It was so tough to read. So what to do? Here I found myself in a very difficult place. According to Rule 12 of the competition CBC Radio has the right to edit the piece for broadcast (I missed that one - I figured you win - you won, right? apparently not). Anyhow, I was not against editing. I value re-working and fine-tuning. I just hated what he did and I even went back to the original notes he gave me and I couldn't figure out why he made the changes he did. Anyhow, I wrote back, perhaps too quickly, but I basically said I hated the ending he wrote and that I would prefer to tweak the piece myself so that it was my writing and true to my idea. Anyhow we have exchanged a few e-mails, and we hope to have a telephone discussion tomorrow (complicated by my being in a Fringe Show). He basically said that I can edit it myself but it has to be acceptable to him by Tuesday because that's when he plans to tape it (short notice anyone?). Or else I am free to withdraw it from the competition if I am unsatisfied with the final copy he approves.

This has been tough. It has taken this joyful experience (winning) and made it horrible. I think the copy I sent is closer to what he wants, but I did feel obliged to write a long email explaining the piece and the ending because I really don't think he got it. I think I wrote a piece that every woman would get and that very few men would. My test? I asked my husband. He only got it when I explained it to him. Every woman I shared it with, got it with no additional explanation. The problem with the ending that the Producer wrote was that most women would go "ew, yuck" while the guys would laugh. The problem with mine was that most women would chuckle and relate and the guys would go "huh? I don't get it."

Anyhow, I don't want to give up. I came close when I read the email I got today, but once I figure out what is being asked for I will do my best to accomplish the task. I actually got a good suggestion from my husband about how I could write the ending so guys would get it - so hopefully it worked. I guess I need to get some men in my reading circle (but then I can't call them my reading ladies!).

No comments: