Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Feedback on C & E

Last night was my Playwriting Lab and this time around it was my feedback session. I was a lot more mentally prepared for it. I think that is because I had a better expectation of what would happen. As well, I felt like the piece was in better shape for commenting. I also had taken the time to put some time and distance between myself and the script and had gone through it on my own looking for where I wanted to go with it next. This put me in a better frame of mind. Now I need to take all the feedback and sift through it. I have to decide what is a flaw of the script or what is intentional on my part. I don't necessarily want all questions answered. I want these to be "real" people, therefore I don't think I want to solve all their issues in one little play. Part of me wants that feeling of unfinished business and detente. As well, there are some comments that really had to do with omitted stage directions. As an actor and director I don't like overly dictating stage directions, so I tend to leave them out where not necessary. That way there is room for exploration and ownership on the part of the actor and director. So, when they asked "What is Kelly doing? Just sitting there?" during the phone conversation between Maya and Adrian, I naturally feel "No", but I don't want to have to write exactly what she is doing. I trust that the actor would stay active in the scene and if she isn't, the director would kick her butt so she would. Anyhow, now I can work on it and that feels good. I have been dying to get back to it but had put it on hold until the feedback session.

No comments: