Sunday, December 16, 2007
Backtracking....
I made a decision to undo a major change to my script, Cropping and Embossing. In the original draft submitted to the Writing Lab the other participants took issue with one particular plot point so I reluctantly caved and changed it. I wasn't happy with the change as I thought it didn't really allow for the dramatic push I wanted for one of the characters. One of my 'readers' agreed after reading the latest draft. I hadn't said anything about my own misgivings, but she articulated exactly what worried me, so I phoned my sister (another one of my readers) and we chatted about it and I decided that it was my play, not the Writing Lab's play and that I could own it and change it back and still address their concerns, but in a different way. So, I did it. It was hard, because the initial change affected a lot of lines so I had to track through the whole play to make sure it didn't contradict itself. I feel I have taken it back. The Lab process is good, but I don't want to cave just because another writer would have written the play differently. They will just have to write their own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment