Monday, December 31, 2007
Putting it our there...
This year I became a member of the Writer's Guild of Alberta. As a member I received notification about application for various literary awards. The Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama is presented to a play published or produced during each calendar year. So I submitted Pieces for consideration. It cost me $25.00 but it is part of that whole "getting it out there" kind of attitude I am trying adopt. I am trying to do the writing thing in my own way and make up my own rules. I don't want to compromise what I am doing by over-collaboration so I have to kind of stay at the periphery of the professional world. Case in point - S.S.'s script from the Playwrighting Lab - I worry that he made too many changes based on feedback when I think it was not necessarily better when he brought the next draft back - just different (good as, but not better). I even reversed some of my changes after the second read because I felt a strong pull to do so. In any case, as part of this push to be "true to myself" I am also having to find ways to get things out there. I don't know how many scripts were published or produced this year so who knows what I am up against, but it will get my words in new readers hands.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment