Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Freedom to work on the script comes with not winning...

Last night I went to a play reading as part of 10 Days of Madness. The main purpose was to hear if I won the 24 Hour Competition or not. I did not. I wasn't particularly disappointed. Kenneth Williams (Three Little Birds - Workshop West) won. He worked next to me and we had several good chats in the wee hours of the morning on our walk-abouts. Now I have been released from limbo to think about and work on my script (as soon as I am sent a copy of it, that is). We have to select a 'best 5 minutes', which will be torture. I may ask for help from other people because I have no objectivity about that. I have already had many thoughts about deepening and strengthening the script and the story. I am a little embarrassed about how thin it is and that people that I don't know have read it. Luckily none of them know my name as the competition was blind.

It was a great experience. I will do it again next year and try my darnedest to keep January free so that I can go to more of the readings. Sadly they put the reading I was really interested in going to on the night we were sequestered!

No comments: