Went and saw a bit of the rehearsal for Zachary this week and I have more changes to incorporate. They changed some stuff (assignment of lines to different characters, some line order). I wasn't thrilled with all of the changes nor the lecture about following the rules of the style (I don't like rules in art) but I am trying to work within the process. I really just don't like other people trying to fix my script for me (particularly when I don't think it's broken). I would like to fix it myself, or adjust it myself so that I can own it. I think too, I thought I was done a few drafts ago, and the addition of the rehearsal process and the choices being made by the actors and director have created more problems. Some might say the problems were there before, however, they could just as easily be solved by changing some of the artistic choices of the rest of the team - not just the script. I debriefed with Jana (who has been amazing). I realized during the process that I could make the changes for this production, but keep MY script for me. The text remains malleable and unfixed. I will fight for those things that I really need to, and find a way to compromise on the others. So I have some work to do (by Friday!).
I also met with Julie and AM for a read-thru of From Something. I am not sure if I can still change my title for the Fringe, but afterwards the perfect title came to me. We did a good job finding some major flaws in the script (should that make me happy?) and I have given myself a goal of cutting 5 pages before the next reading. A key part of the discussion came out about Maya. I find that a lot of people really like her when they read it and they tend to think Kelly is the 'wrong one'. I want them to see them both as being part right and part wrong. There was resistance to a part where Kelly was calling Maya on her stuff. I want to find the balance. Kelly is hard, but she is right about some things. Maya has the right to live her life the way she chooses, but when it impacts the others in her life and she lets them down, it is fair for her to be called on it. I think that Maya is overly selfish and Kelly overly selfless and those are the key things causing their issues. This is the way they have been damaged by the past. I need it to be redeeming that Maya picks up the ball in the end. Up to that minute, we need to doubt that she is capable of giving up her 'stuff' for her sister. I have a bit of time to work on the next draft (a week or so).
No comments:
Post a Comment