Friday, September 18, 2009
Hooray! A Bit of Writing!
Last night, while Mark was out auditioning, I was grumbling around the house when I decided that maybe I could use my time to write, like I always say I want to. The boys were asleep, the house relatively tidy so why not? I had this idea for In Locum Parentis during the Fringe. I was too busy then to do anything about it, but I tried it out last night. In the play a troubled teacher is in counselling with a therapist over something that happened in her classroom. The scenes were feeling very static and very Q & A so I decided to remove the therapist and her questions and fragment the reveal of information a little bit more. What was asked was inherent in the answers so the lines were not needed, and this way the audience takes on the role as therapist/sounding board and hopefully they will be more engaged. Already the script is working much better and I am excited about it. I think this is the one to get ready to submit to the APN Annual Playwriting Competition in March 2010. I have 2 other scripts I was considering, but one will be produced at New Works, so I think it will be ineligible and the other is in need of a lot more work. It is good to have a goal so here I go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment