Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Talk About a Kick in the Pants to get you moving....

Well, I "finished" the first draft. After letting everything sit in my brain and swirl around for half a day, I fired up the computer and started working on Cropping and Embossing. It is by no means done, but now it is more developed and has a beginning, middle and an end. There are no more "to be written" sections, although I am thinking that I need another scene between the 3rd and 4th, and I am thinking I need to do more with the 3rd scene. I will probably tweak it all, but right now I have sent it out to my "reading ladies" and await feedback. I will do more writing in my head as I drive and then come back to it later in the summer. I think my next submission date is in October, so I have a bit of time. I would like to be submitting a 3rd draft, so that means I get feedback, rewrite, send it back out and then rewrite again.

I am also adding people to my reading circle. I like that I am meeting new people whose judgement I value and trust. It will be good to get new perspectives on the work. I like it!

Anyhow, I am really wishing I had handed in the current draft for the playwright's lab, but it wasn't there yet and I hadn't the time to get it there. Writing is a challenge. The time required is important and you also have to be in the right head space at that time. At least I do.

No comments: