Re: "Fringe needs better plays, not better ticketing", The Journal July 17, 2007
I'm sorry, but Todd Babiak's idea to change the Fringe's lottery system is flawed. Many of those "professional" companies and actors that are successful today in Edmonton's theatre community got their start 10 - 25 years ago at the Fringe. How will we discover Edmonton's next big thing if there is no venue for them to display their talents in? Most of the small professional theatres in Edmonton are fairly closed companies, meaning they have a roster of talent that they pick from. Nothing against that. Most of that talent pool is excellent and has "paid the dues" to be there. Occasionally a new performer gets introduced into the mix, as roles require different ages and types, but overall theatre goers in Edmonton can rely on seeing many of the same faces on the professional stages. The same goes for playwrights. You have to be known on a certain level or be associated with the company to get your new work on their stage. How do you get to that level to begin with? The Fringe offers something to those outside that professional community - an opportunity to be seen on a somewhat level playing field. Do I like seeing high quality theatre? Yes. But those companies you mention have stages already. I can see them during their season if they don't get a venue. Those who lack a stage need somewhere to tell their story. My fear is that audiences will only go to the "juried" shows and an elitist, two tiered system will develop. This already exists in Edmonton to some degree during the regular theatre season. It's nice to let that go in the summer and just try to make good art without the labels of professional vs. amateur.
2 comments:
Hear hear!!
You tell 'em!
I hope I don't piss off the "professional GOOD actors". Ha ha ha.
Post a Comment