Monday, July 16, 2007

Writing Lab...

I always come home from the Lab raring to write, even when it was not my own play we were discussing. That is a good thing. Got another idea for a script today. Mapped a bit of it out. Funny though, I tend to be writing serious dramas all the time (okay I have two TYA plays under my belt, but not counting them). The funny thing is I prefer acting and directing "lighter" stuff. I think I find it easier to "write REAL" and the interesting real stuff tends to be more serious. Now Double, Double is mostly funny, but that's not finished YET (if you are reading AM - we need to get to work on some stuff - I am as much to blame!). I just have to watch that I don't start spending all my time on the new idea and abandon Cropping and Embossing. I will need to re-draft it a few times before October!

Oh yeah, Lab - I learned tonight that it can be challenging if you are writing too close to home. The playwright in me needs to be separate from the subject/characters etc... How do we deal with those issues we have without letting our personal experiences cloud our perceptions of the work?

No comments: