Not great, but not bad. I am trying to remember what I learned in Drama 103 about taking a review as an opportunity to improve the piece. I amended the script with the reference to the Iroquois (one word in a 45 minute play...). I am not too concerned about some of the other criticisms because they were not on my agenda for the purpose of the play, afterall this was intended for a pre-school aged audience (3-6 years). I didn't intend it to say anything other than 'telling stories is good and they can help you through a tough time' so that's all good. As to the lack of positive female roles, I am not concerned because two of the main characters are gender neutral (Pebble and Big Stone). They are only male because the actors playing them are guys. In fact, when I wrote both of them, I thought of both of them as female. Most of the criticisms come from a real 'politically correct' point of view and I have to admit, those kinds of things were not specifically on my radar (nor are they ever) and I think a lot of people are a little too uptight about those things. I can recognize the reference to Indians as being archaic, but only when pointed out to me. I must have had 15+ drafts and no one ever pointed it out to me prior to this. No biggie. 'Tis fixed on the page. Is the play better for it... maybe, for the few people in the audiences who will have noticed it and I doubt there were many.
http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/fringe2009/reviews/2009/06/zachary_and_the_storytelling_s.html
1 comment:
That's a pretty positive review Kristen!
I have to agree that the female characters comment didn't register with me when I saw the play. Is Zachary still being played by a girl?
Post a Comment