Somewhat disappointing, but I will try to take what I can from it. I know the script needs tightening, but I think some of the lack of connection on the part of the reviewer had to do with him not being our target demographic. Am I re-thinking my decision not to implement the cuts before Fringe? Yes and No. I debate every time I see the show. I know the ladies do a fine job (Solid, not sold) and they are making it work. I want it to be real. I want these to be your sisters, next door neighbours, mothers, you, etc... I personally don't see them as stereotypes - I think if I had made them bigger and more extreme, they would be. I am sick of so many Fringe shows being an irrational assault that I cannot connect to, or else being a pastiche of this and that linked weakly by a generic theme, put together punchline by punchline. I'll make my cuts for the next time I mount it and I will consider the input.
http://www.vueweekly.com/article.php?id=12853
2 comments:
Given the name Scott - I'm assuming this guy is male; so, yeah, it's quite likely that the story line ISN'T "terribly relevant to" his "own life." Bah!
:)
I really need to read the final version!
Both our reviewers have been male so that might have something to do with the reaction, however, I know guys who have responded to the piece so it isn't just that. I wish there would be recognition that not all theatre is for all audiences - not everyone is a 20-30 something male who needs lots of laughs and violence. Some people want to escape into art and some people want to see themselves in the art. There is just no recognition of that.
Post a Comment